Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Moments of Renewal

I'm walking up to my car this morning after dropping N at school, and I see a small white dog streak down the main (ish) thoroughfare I park on. It makes a sharp left and turns up a side street.

I stop and look; a few blocks above, I see a man walking his dog. I see him begin gesturing, pointing down the side street. I see a woman appear at a full-out run, following his gestures. She's not young; she's not dressed to run like this. She disappears down the side street.

I get into my car and wait for traffic to allow me to make a U-turn. I head up to the side street where the dog and the woman had disappeared. I'll pick her up, I've decided; we'll go up and down the streets until she finds the dog.

But I'm too late. Up the block I see another car, another minivan with the school's bumper sticker on it, open its doors. The woman climbs in, and they're off. I follow, just in case I can help. About two blocks later, past another 'main' north-south street, the car pulls over, stops; the woman gets out, scoops up the dog.

I'm definitely no longer needed. I pass the car, my window open, and I hear the dog-lady thanking the driver of the car; she's still panting, and there are tears streaming down her face.

"I can't...I just can't...thank..."

There are days and times--amidst oil spills and irrational hatreds and children senselessly dying--that it feels like too much. All of it. Too much.

But then a man points, and a woman opens her car door, and a puppy is scooped up into loving arms, and it doesn't fix anything, it doesn't negate any of it, but it makes it all possible again. Even if just for a day, even if just for a little while. There's hope; there's grace.

Right there in front of me.

5 comments:

Niksmom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niksmom said...

"There's hope; there's grace. Right there in front of me." Even on the most difficult days with my son, I try to remember that. Sometimes it seems to be the only thing which gets me through when the struggles of the day are too heavy to bear. I look at my son and remember that noone expected him to survive after his too-early and too-fragile birth. Yet, here he is —tenacious as ever— six and a half years later.

Sending you thoughts of peace and renewal, friend.

(deleted last comment bc of typos/spelling)

Green said...

Sometimes, you just need to see a little good going on in the world. I'm so glad the dog didn't get hit.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Because, you know, you passed on a bit of that hope and grace.

Cindy said...

Hmm I try to remember that. Sometimes it seems to be the only thing which gets me through when the struggles of the day are too heavy to bear. thanx for the share.