Sunday, September 7, 2008


Right now, somewhere in a province of China (the name of which I should know because she only told me it about a bajillion times) my friend S is meeting her new, 9-month-old daughter. And the rest of us mommies in our little gang are hanging by our computers, killing time in the hopes that we will get a Skype-enabled glimpse of our newest addition. For S, the long wait is over, but these last hours of anticipation are killing me.

I really shouldn't be doing this. I should be going to sleep, because I have to be at the personnel office at my new job at 8 tomorrow morning. Yeah, right. Like I could sleep right now, with a NEW BABY about to appear on my computer screen! (Technology, I take back every bad thing I ever said about you. Except maybe that stuff about Excel. I still can't figure that sucker out.)

I have no idea what to bring with me tomorrow, by the way. I mean, aside from the two folders'-worth of papers I had to fill out. I found an old, deliberately rusty planter that a gift once came in; I used it as a pencil holder at my old job, and will bring it for my new desk. I have a little pottery ashtray-ish thing that Em made for me a year or two ago, and the poem N wrote for me while we waited for the orthopedist back in the spring. I'll put the former on my desk for paperclips or something, and the latter will get attached to a wall or a cork board. But that's it. That's all I could find.

I guess I'll just have to move in slowly, right?

I also have no idea what I'm going to wear tomorrow. I had grand plans of picking out a week's worth of outfits today--ironing what needs ironing, mending what needs mending (or, more likely, choosing something to replace what needs mending, because, really, who has the time for that crap?), matching what needs matching. But, instead, I took the kids to first day of Hebrew School this morning (N, who was unhappy about the whole thing because his friend Zach isn't returning this year, changed his mind after spending just a couple of hours with his teacher, H, declaring: "I love H up to heaven, past the Tooth Fairy, and wherever the sky goes."). Then we went over with a couple of the Hebrew School families for a beginning-of-the-school-year-but-you-can't-tell-from-the-weather pool-and-pizza party. Once I got the kids home, Em and Baroy headed out for the annual AYSO Opening Ceremonies at a local community college, and N and I played baseball in the backyard. And since then, I've been sitting here staring at my Skype icon, waiting for S. So, obviously, I'm too BUSY to pick out clothes.

I knew you'd understand.


Jay Andrew Allen said...

Congrats to your friend on her new child! V exciting!

po said...

I GOTTA get Skype working!

So how was your first day?? What did you end up wearing :)?

Roni said...

How did it go?? Congrats, BTW, on the new job! Can't wait to hear more about S's new little one.

Green said...

So, how did your first week go?