Thursday, November 20, 2008

Snooping and Kvelling

Em knows that she has no expectation of privacy online, and in particular in her email account.* She's 11, for one thing, and she's gotten in trouble on the computer in the past, for another. So every month or so I log in to her account and check on what's come in--and gone out--just to be sure everything's OK. Just a couple of emails, here and there. I'm in, I check, I'm out. Well, most of the time.

We were taking a walk this evening, and she mentioned to me an incident that had happened at lunch, where some of her friends were joking about a boy in her class. This boy is on the spectrum--my guess would be somewhere just slightly south of high-functioning autism--and Em has been in his class for the past three years. She said that her friends were ragging on him during lunch, and she--as she always has, to give credit where credit is due--had told them to cut it out. Apparently, though, this time she took some flack for it and--as she told me during our walk--she thought that was especially unfair. Then she mentioned that she'd emailed one of the friends, a more-or-less innocent bystander to the talk, to try to tell her side of the story.

And so I decided that tonight would be one of the nights I'd do a little checking in her email. Because, really. I just had to see what she'd written. Sue me. And then sue me again, because I'm about to share a small part of it with you:
C says that I should lighten up and just have fun and that he doesn't know that they make fun of him but thats my point! He's just like any of us he's just a little more special.
Just a little more special. I think I know someone else that applies to as well.

What a kid.

*Yes, I know that expectation of non-privacy probably doesn't extend to my blog as well. Too bad. This should be the worst thing I ever do to her--invade her privacy so that I can tell everyone how wonderful she is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Send her here, we could use a guardian angel for our "special" kid.

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

It's when they do something like that...it just makes the hard times so worth it. Yes my friend, you do have a special one there.
This made me smile today,
dawn
p.s. I check my 11 year olds stuff that she does on the computer all the time. :) I'm in, do a quick look around and then I'm back out.

po said...

I love that girl :)

Ambre said...

Ew, what rotten kids she's friends with.

Good thing we are the only people on earth with non-rotten kids ;)

Kim Tracy Prince said...

(sniff) I need that in a pill to feed to my 3.5-year-old and 1.5-year-old to make sure they grow up right.

Anonymous said...

What a kid. Oh, what a kid.

P.S. Thank you SO much too for the words over at BEAW. They mean more than I can possibly say.