Monday, September 3, 2007

Baroy's OK

It was, he reports, 80 degrees at 4 am, when he left for the race. The instructions given to the runners at their 6 am start time was that the course was at yellow alert (or something like that), and that they were to be aware that the danger of heat illness was high, meaning that nobody should be aiming for a PR (personal record) that day. Not that Baroy could have even considered going for a PR, he said, since within half a mile of the starting line, his shorts were so wet they became like a weight around his hips, slowing him down. (You should SEE the enormous abrasion on the inside of his thigh from the rubbing of those wet shorts as he ran. Well, OK, maybe YOU shouldn't see it. But you know what I mean. It's nasty and intense and painful. My poor running man.)

So, yeah. He finished. He won't let me say how long it took, except to note that he was at least 15 minutes off his usual pace, but considers just having finished to be a triumph, considering. I have to agree. An insane triumph, but a triumph nonetheless.

And now he's set his sights on the next half marathon, some LA thingy in December. With any luck, the temperatures will have settled back down into the 90s by then.

3 comments:

po said...

Go Baroy!

But why would he run a Disney Marathon? Doesn't he HATE Disney :)?

(I have to admit, I had some of the best times of my life during the Cast Member events I went to with my sister, when we got to be in the park without the civilian riff raff.)

jeanie said...

Congratulations on the finish.

What a nut though - wouldn't swimming a marathon be a better option with that weather?

Ambre said...

It was worse here today than yesterday. Poor Baroy!